Over a century ago, Barmore descendants posted information about two branches of our tree that have since been lost for genealogical purposes.
I figured out one of them thanks to a combination of clues in the old articles and DNA evidence.
George Barmore had two unnamed daughters in South Carolina, one reportedly married a Morrison and one married a Rhoney (see article below for the fullest description, which unfortunately I only discovered after making this connection).
That Rhoney must have been John or Jonathan Roney/Rhoney who appears in the 1790 census in Abbeville County, SC (and the 1800 census in Laurens, SC).
1790 US Census, South Carolina, Abbeville Series: M637 Roll: 11 Page: 469
Roney, Jno. 1 4 2 0 0 0 one adult male, four males under 16 and two females, no slaves
1800- US Census, South Carolina, Laurens, Series: M637 Roll: 11 Page: 233
Roney, John males 1 2 1 0 1 females 1 2 0 1 0 1
He evidently had the following children:
1) Daughter Mary Polly Roney b. 25 Feb 1784, South Carolina, USA; married bef. 1798 Squire Alexander; died 25 Mar 1862, Springfield, Greene, Missouri, USA.
2) Son James Roney (b. ca 1785 according to trees):
Aaron C (1818–)
Elias M twin (1821–1902)
Elijah A twin (1821–1910)
3) Son Edward Roney (listed in 1810 census in Laurens, SC)
John Rhoney also had several other children according to the census records that we need to identify.
Autosomal DNA matches among our Barmore cousins are consistent with connections to both Polly and James named above.
Will need to do more research to find the missing Morrison daughter.
"OUR OLD ROADS No. 132.
The Five Notch road of a hundred years ago has been described in some detail as it dropped through the lower section of the county on its way from the mountains to Hamburg and Augusta. It may be recalled that north from White Hall in what is now Greenwood county It ran through the Buzzard Roost section of Abbeville county, west or Hodges and still swinging above Hodges it came out into what is now the paved highway above Hodges at or near the present home of Dr. J. K. Huff. From Dr. Huff's the Five Notch road and the present paved highway were almost the same until within a few hundred yards of the present high bridge over Southern Railway almost opposite Old Greenville church and just before reaching Shoal Junction, tie two roads separate. The old Five Notch road to be seen as it ran just in front of where now stand tall and big chimneys which mark the place where the large old home of Enoch Barmore stood just beyond on the right side of the road was the home of the rather or Enoch Barmore, known as "Squire" William Barmore. An older son of "Squire" William Barmore was Larkin Barmore. The father and the two sons were owners of a store on the Five Notch road and the" post office kept in this store was named "Mount Hill." These were large land owners and also owned and operated a tan yard, mill and gin at this place. Nearby was the Mount Hill school largely sustained by their patronage. The post office of Mount Hill was the first post office established in the extreme northeast section of Abbeville county antedating Due West Corner by several years. The name "Barmore", according to one member of the family originally was "Barrymore" and the name is still so spelled in England. In the first record of the name in the minutes of Turkey Creek church the spelling is "Baremore" which would be the same pronunciation, though this spelling may have been due to the recording clerk's idea. The first of the name to locate in South Carolina was George Barmore, who, according to family tradition, was a native of England and who came to this country as an orphan boy and first made his home with a family in New Jersey about the year 1700. He was not treated kindly, tradition continues, and after a few years he removed to Virginia and married there. The name of his wife is not known. All of his children, the family tradition is, were born in Virginia. He later removed to South Carolina and located in the section in which his descendants have lived ever since. George Barmore had one son, James Barmore, and three daughters. When or where George Barmore died is not known. The census of 1790 lists only two heads of families by the name Barmore. These were George Barmore and James Barmore, undoubtedly the father and son just named, so George Barmore was living here so late as 1790 and this may mean that the year of his arrival in this country was some years after 1700. The three daughters of George Barmore and sisters of James Barmore married as follows, first names not known, one married Roney (also spelled Rhoney); one married Shirley and the third married Morrison. Descendants of the last two were still living in the state in 1893, according to the family record but the first, Mrs. Roney, removed to Georgia after the War Between the States and has descendants in that State. The census of 1790 gives in this neighborhood the names of only one Roney and his first name was John. There were six heads of families by the name of Shirley in the community or section in 1790, these being Argey, ("short" for Archibald, evidently). Benj., James, two Johns, and Richard Shirley. There was no Morrison here in 1790. James Barmore son of George Barmore the first, located several miles east of the section in which his son Squire William Barmore later selected for his home. The home of James can still be located, one mile south of Ware Shoals on the paved highway leading to Greenwood and on the right side of the road, near the W. H. Hughes home. The old road on which he was located was known as the old Cambridge road. The place was owned about sixty years ago by Mr. Killingsworth and went by his name. In 1892 it was owned by Wm. C. Davis, according to the record of a member of the family. The original home of James Barmore was still standing in 1812, though Mr. Killingsworth had rolled it some little distance from where it was first built. James Barmore is said to have been in Revolutionary service as a soldier but he was so skilled in iron work that he was detailed to make and repair arms for the patriot soldiers and he operated at his home with many helpers a regular arms shop. After the Revolution he continued his shop and had a wide reputation in this part of the State for his skill. He handed down the business to his son William, who over on the Five Notch Road at what was later Mount Hill, continued the business and like his father had a large force or workmen and drew patronage from people who lived "twenty-five miles and more away, or what was about a day's journey in those days. James Barmore died about 1830 and is buried in the Turkey Creek church cemetery. James Barmore married a Miss Smith and they had one daughter and three sons, as follows: Frances, who married Asa Franklin, and they had two sons, and in 1845 all of this family removed to Alabama. Peter Barmore, oldest son, married Lucy Dodson, settled on a place on the old Cambridge road in recent years owned by J. C. Cork, and they had several daughters names not known and three sons, Hardeman, Louis and Larkin Barmore, all of whom after Peter Barmore's death removed to Georgia; George Barmore, the second, who settled on a place given him by his father about two miles above what is now Donalds and later owned by Charlie Dodson. married a Miss Pyles and they had several daughters and one son, Reuben Barmore, who later with his mother and sisters removed to Mississippi: and the third son William Barmore, who married three times, first to Nancy Dodson, second to Nancy McGee, and third to Polly Hodges. This William Barmore is the ancestor of all of the name in this part of the State, and also of many other descendants of other names. (To be continued.)"